[rkward-devel] R 3 problems?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Mar 17 09:45:20 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

On Monday 17 March 2014 12:00:19 Peter Mayer wrote:
> 	A great relief that I've now got RKWard working; it was worth the
struggle!
> Oh, sorry to be still needing assistance...
> 	Some minor questions: in an early experiment with regression, I
>
> received this message:
> > Messages, warnings, or errors: Loading required package: R2HTML
> > Warning: package 'R2HTML' was built under R version 3.0.2
>
> 	A scatterplot matrix produced a similar warning:
> > Warning: package 'car' was built under R version 3.0.2
>
> 	What, if anything, should I do about this?

The version of R included in the bundle is R 3.0.0. Downloadable packages are
generally built with the latest patch-level version. In _rare_ cases this
could mean a problem, and thus you get the warning.

In an ideal world, we'd update the bundle on every new release of R. In
practice however, that's just too much work for us to handle. It is not too
difficult to update the version of R in use, however (at least for patch-level
releases). Details at
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Windows
.

As we offer only 32bit RKWard binaries on Windows, ATM, make sure to install
the "32bit Files" of R (selectable in the installer, somewhere, and IIRC,
32bit/i386 R binaries are still installed by default).

> 	I recently installed 3.0.2,
> but I still have a x32 version of 2.15.1...

It is possible to use RKWard with R 2.15.x, too, if you like. You have to use
this variant of the RKWard installer, though:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkward/files/Current_Stable_Releases/install_rkward_0.6.1_for_R2.15.x.exe/download

No bundle, available (but you can start with a bundle installation, and then
"update" RKWard as per the instructions in the wiki).

> 	After successful correlations, regressions and a scattergram, a
>
> scattergram composed with the Wizard produced a KDE crash:
> > The requested operation could not be completed Unexpected Program
> > Termination
> >
> > Details of the Request: URL: file:///C:/Users/Peter's
> > Gigabyte/.rkward/rk_out.html Protocol: file Date and Time: Mon, 17
> > Mar 2014 11:34 AM Additional Information: file Description: The
> > program on your computer which provides access to the
> > file:///C:/Users/Peter's Gigabyte/.rkward/rk_out.html protocol has
> > unexpectedly terminated.

I admit, I've seen that bug before, too. It is most likely to happen after you
have experimented with several installations of KDE (or RKWard), though. A
reboot should take care of this, reliably.