[rkward-devel] import/export CSV

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 1 08:41:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sunday 30 November 2014 23:19:48 meik michalke wrote:
> as promised, i completely re-wrote the "export tabular data" dialog. it's
> attached[*] as a pre-built plugin package so you can check it out (it also
> includes the rkwarddev script used to build it).

will give it a look, shortly.

> it defaults to custom file format at the moment -- CSV or CSV2 could be
> better choices, but this deactivates some elements and could confuse some
> people, couldn't it?

I wouldn't be too afraid of that, in particular, as the "File format"
preselection, and the elements controlled by it are all on the same tab. State
that on the .rkh-page to be on the safe side. Also, exporting to one of the
standard formats is certainly the most common thing to do, and should be
easiest.

> i have a question regarding the current plugin:
>
> what plugin is referred to by "use the plugin 'write' for mere variables"?
> is it "Write vector / matrix"? generally, can i somehow refer to a plugin
> so that my dialog fetches its current name (dialog label) dynamically? i
> guess not -- would be cool to have it as a direct link, shown as the path
> from its root menu.

As to that "warning":
a) It seems to be pretty useless (and in fact rather misleading) in the first
place. I suppose it might have had a real meaning some time in the past
(before we were running plugin code inside local(), for instance.
b) If at all, it should go to the help page.

The plugin, referred to, would be "save_variables", inded. You can refer to
that in the .rkh page (see above) using <link
href="rkward://component/save_variables"/>, which will insert the correct
label, automatically (and menu-path might be added, later).

> and one questions regarding the import CSV plugin: what does this logic
> statement do?
>
>   <connect client="commentchar.enabled" governor="quickNone" />

Well, it disables specification of the commentchar (effectively disabling
comments), if any of the pre-defined formats is selected. I believe the
rationale for that is:
- For the predefined formats, code using read.csv(2) / read.delim(2) is
generated, for easier copying of code.
- These default to comment.char="", instead of "#" for read.table().
- Cleanly covering that in the UI would have been rather cumbersome, and did
not seem worth bothering (as comment-lines inside csv-files should be rather
uncommon, in the first place).