[rkward-devel] R2HTML orphaned on CRAN

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Aug 27 12:52:15 UTC 2014

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 27. August 2014, 09:56:14 schrieb Milan Bouchet-Valat:
> Honestly, I'm not sure I like it. It would look like
> # Getter: OK
> HTMLFile()
> # Setter: weird
> HTMLFile() <- "/my/path"
>
> What do you both think about it? I think R is pretty inconsistent
> already, with par(cex=3) instead of par("cex") <- 3.

i implemented something similar in koRpus with functions explicitly called
"get.kRp.env()" and "set.kRp.env()", instead of "kRp.env()" and "kRp.env()<-".
so far no-one complained ;-)

i do use the "()<-" notation when i'm changing values of objects in
.GlobalEnv; e.g., change the language setting of a text object by

  language(object) <- "en"

as this feels much more intuitive than something like

  yourFunct(obj, lang="en")

so, if i did this, set.HTMLFile() and get.HTMLFile() or similar would be my
naming of choice.