[rkward-devel] R2HTML orphaned on CRAN

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Wed Aug 27 07:56:14 UTC 2014

Le mercredi 27 août 2014 à 08:42 +0200, Thomas Friedrichsmeier a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 26 August 2014 20:56:01 Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> > OK, I think we are good now. I've added accessors for the
> > old .HTML.file, and this works at least with my package which uses it.
> > The checks look fine.
> >
> > I'm going to e-mail the maintainers of reverse dependencies and leave
> > them some time to reply before pushing to CRAN. Anything I may have
> > missed?
>
> just a nitpick:
>
> As a C++-developer I can't quite get used to it, myself, but I think "the R
> way" of a getter/setter pair is
> 'HTMLFile' <- function() {...}
> 'HTMLFile<-' <- function(filename) {...}
Ah, yes I think nobody from any other language than R can get used to it. :-)

Honestly, I'm not sure I like it. It would look like
# Getter: OK
HTMLFile()
# Setter: weird
HTMLFile() <- "/my/path"

What do you both think about it? I think R is pretty inconsistent
already, with par(cex=3) instead of par("cex") <- 3.