[rkward-devel] windows native file dialog -- again...

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Aug 16 18:49:43 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Friday 15 August 2014 14:54:30 meik michalke wrote:
> i have just noticed that RKWard for windows seems to ignore the file dialog
> configuration in (at least) one place: setting the personal R libraries
> (RKWard configuration -> R-packages). i have just witnessed a series of
> crashes everytime this dialog was opened, and none of the recommended
> workarounds had any effect (admin privileges, setwd(), turning native
> dialogs off or on). noticeably, any other file dialog opened by RKWard was
> a KDE-style dialog which didn't crash the application, but the library
> settings always fired up the windows-style dialog and caused RKWard to
> freeze.
>
> can you confirm that?

confirmed on WinXP. Also happens in the two other places, where we're asking
for an existing directory (both at Settings->General: "Directory where rkward
may store files", and custom initial directory).

It's definitely an issue in kdelibs, somehow. We're certainly not asking for a
non-KDE-style dialog at any of these points. With luck, it has been fixed,
meanwhile, and "all" we need to do is update the runtime version of KDE (in
case you want to give that a try: essentially, install using the custom
installer, using the latest KDE on Windows).

No good idea how to work around it from our side.