[rkward-devel] Trouble loading packages on the Mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 14 18:25:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thursday 14 March 2013, meik michalke wrote:
> after i appended
>  -DR_HOME=/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/Current/Resources
> to the cinfigure arguments, the same error messages appeared, but RKWard at
> least started to build. and then it broke... more interestingly, during
> configuration, an R console pops up for two or three times, and configure
> only goes on after you closed them (this co-occurs with the above errors).

I did not find the time to try with CRAN R, yet. Perhaps there is some extra
binary or command line option for running from a terminal.

> i'd suppose we do the following:
>  - revert to install source packages by default
>    (can you make this a configure argument? then it's easier to have
> different variants in one portfile)
>  - build the bundle using the R-framework port
>  - strip static libraries from the bundle
>
> this will already reduce the bundle size significantly for the upcoming
> release, and we can experiment with other approaches after that.

Yes, good idea. The new cmake option is -DUSE_BINARY_PACKAGES=1 to make binary
packages the default on MacOS. Without this, the default is reverted to
building source packages. Having the config option means we can still try to
sort it all out without hurry, after the release.