[rkward-devel] Subset plugin; Release plans

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Mar 13 22:15:02 UTC 2013

hi thomas,

Am Mittwoch, 13. März 2013, 17:38:01 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Well, this is my first "serious" venture into rkwarddev. My resume so far is
> that I kind of like it for generating the plugin .XML.

thanks :-)

> However for generating non-trivial .js, the extra language layer is making
> things more confusing, not less. Not sure, whether/how this could be
> improved (and that's for another day, anyway).

you're right, i'm not completely satisfied with that part myself. you can
still paste the JS code as plain text with rk.paste.JS(), and just use things
like id() to get the correct ID. or you can remove "js" from the "create"
option of the final rk.plugin.skeleton() call and write all of the JS files
yourself. the package was designed not to force you into using functions like
ite(), echo() and the like.

i'm still faster even with that additional layer, however. what really drove
me crazy was checking time and again if i made a stupid error in the IDs, when
something just wouldn't work...

> I guess, if I continue working on the plugin, I'll go back to manual
> editing, after all. (Blunt attempt to threaten you into do the work,
> instead ;-))

haha, do as you wish :-) but i'm not eager to ever touch plain plugin code
again. if i need to make changes in five plugins, i want to change five files
only.

oh, did you try to set "tests=TRUE"? it will generate a template for
plugintests, which is hopefully of help. a template for a help page can be
added by adding "rkh" to "create" (there are also rk.rkh.* functions in
rkwarddev to write the full help page in the generator script), and setting
"edit=TRUE" will load all generated files in RKWard editor tabs.