[rkward-devel] t-Tests different in Mac and Windows/Linux versions...

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Jan 9 12:34:53 UTC 2013

Hi!

On Wednesday 09 January 2013, Aaron Batty wrote:
> Well, I'm getting to the part of the class where I'm teaching t-tests, and
> I've run into a confusing problem. On the Mac, going to Analysis → Means →
> t-Tests leads to the "t-Test" entry, which opens an analysis setup window
> from which you can choose one-sample or two-sample tests (or paired).
> However, on both Windows and Linux, that leads to an entry called
> "Two-variable t-test", which only allows two-sample/paired t-tests.

The t-test plugin was re-written for RKWard 0.6.0. Version 0.5.7 had the more
limited dialog labelled "Two-variable t-test". So this is not a cross-platform
difference, but a cross-version difference(*).

> This is on both versions 0.5.7 and 0.6.

For 0.5.7, the more limited dialog is what you'd expect to see.

If you see this with version 0.6.0 - on any platform - this will be due to
left-overs from a previous installation. I'd be rather surprised so see this
happening on Linux (can you second-check that one, please?), but in fact, on
Windows it's rather easy to get into such a situation, if you upgrade RKWard,
without removing the previous installation. Hm, I'll have to think about a
good way to prevent this.

Anyway, to fix this (in RKWard 0.6.0), go to Settings->Configure RKWard-
>Plugins, Remove
   C:\Old\Installation\Path\share\apps\rkward\all.pluginmap
(typically the topmost, or only entry), and add
   C:\New\Installation\Path\share\apps\rkward\all.pluginmap
instead.

> Very few people at my university use anything other than Macs, so it's not
> much of a problem, but it does mean that the 2 Windows users in class can't
> do the one-sample analyses...

While at it, a totally different matter: AFAICS, you added advice to our wiki
to run RKWard as Administrator on Windows. Could you give some background info
on what goes wrong, otherwise? Could it be the same issue as discussed, here:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/rkward-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01933.html
i.e. crash, if you are inside your own home directory when opening a file
dialog for the first time?

(*) On the Mac, prior to RKWard 0.6.0, only development versions were
available. I'd have to go hunting for the exact timeline, but probably you've
always seen the new variant on the Mac, for this reason, even long before
RKWard 0.6.0 was released.