[rkward-devel] Dependencies and 'about' information for plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Feb 4 18:13:32 UTC 2013

Hi!

Over the past two weeks, I've been working on providing some basic handling of
dependencies and 'about' information for plugins. Esp. concerning
dependencies, there is certainly room for further improvements, but I think
for the moment, this should cover the most important bits.

Not all of this is all new, as Meik had already blueprinted a syntax for
specifying dependencies and 'about' data. But I have made a few changes while
working on the implementation, and added some bits here and there. You can
read up on everything at
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/documents/devel/plugins/chapter_dependencies.html
and the following chapter.

As a quick reference for what will need to be covered in rkwarddev:
- <dependencies> is a direct child of <document>, not of <about>. It can also
be specified per <component>
- <require> gains a new parameter "map", for including plugin maps from
different packages
- new element <dependency_check> for providing more compatiblity inside
plugins

Also, somewhat unrelated, but not entirely so:
- new parameter "priority" in the <document> element of .pluginmap files.
Controls whether newly installed pluginmaps will be activated by default.

And another hint:
- Contrary to what the documentation may have suggested, before, it is a good
idea to set the "namespace" of .pluginmaps to something unique, instead of
"rkward". At least, if you want to make it possbile for others to <require>
your .pluginmaps.