[rkward-devel] R3.0.0 + R engine has died -- rkward Connection closed unexpectedly. Last error was: QLocalSocket: Remote closed

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 23 08:03:45 UTC 2013

Hi Nick,

I'm putting rkward-devel back on CC. Hope that's ok with you.

(Background: I had to resend my previous message privately, due to problems
with an over-active spam-filter along the way).

On Monday 22 April 2013 18:17:32 you wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> It seems that the generated install.packages has some issues :
>  1). pkgs=c(........)

This should not be an issue, right? (It does look like a good idea to remove
the argument name, though, as, sometimes, R does rename first arguments
(perhaps to "packages" in this case), while they rarely touch argument
position. So I stripped the "pkgs=" in the development version).

>  2), suggested_packages=TRUE

Ouch. Search-and-replace bug, now fixed in the development version.

Note: If you would like to test the fixes, compiling the development version
is just as easy as compiling from the official tar.gz releases. See
http://p.sf.net/rkward/svn .

>  3). rkward is not able to get the "default" repositories

True, it uses only "@CRAN@" and "http://rkward.sf.net/R" by default. This is
not an entirely clear-cut-case, but actually, this is done on purpose. Note
that you can manage repositories via the "Configure Repositories"-button in
the package installation dialog (also available via Settings->Configure
RKWard).

> I believe that the option "Install suggested pacakges" on the screen
> associated with "Manage R Packages" should be "Install dependecies" to
> generate "dependencies=TRUE"

No, the option really controls installation of "suggested" packages, only (and
thus, to work around the error, I suggest simply leaving it unchecked). Note
that the "dependencies"-parameter to install.packages() allows for much more
fine-grained control. But the difference between dependencies=TRUE and
dependencies=NA is the "suggested" packages, only. Actual dependencies are
installed in both cases.

See above on the name of the "dependencies" argument in R. Thanks for
reporting!

> Also during updates/synchronization  many packages fail due to
> Error : package ‘GPArotation’ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it
>
> Is there any way to have them solved automatically ?

In general, installing "all updates" should fix this. However, in fact, we
should probably adopt the R way of dealing with this: Keeping separate library
locations for different versions of R. The downside of this is that after
every new (non-patch) version of R, you will have to re-install all packages,
while most of the time this would not actually be necessary. The advantage is
that you will never run into this problem.

To do it the R way, manually, remove/rename ~/.rkward/library

> That's all I have found so far ...........

Well, thanks for your feedback. Keep reporting issues!