[rkward-devel] GUI element for nxn matrix

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 27 09:52:46 UTC 2012

Hi again,

On Wednesday 29 August 2012, Birk Diedenhofen wrote:
> The matrix GUI element could be used in RKWard dialogs to facilitate the
> input, especially for inexperienced users who don't know how to create a
> matrix. At least, I have two dialogs under development that would benefit
> from such an element ;).
>
> What do you think? How much effort would it take to implement such an
> element? I am sure Qt provides simple tables for this purpose. The
> dimensions of the table must then somehow be manipulated via JavaScript.

I've thought about this some more, and now I think a dedicated GUI element for
inline editing of smallish tables really makes a lot of sense. Besides making
the UI easier, this should also help with some implementation details that I
had not thought about, before(*).

Right now, I'm working on a few small things that I really wanted to get done
before the upcoming release. After that, the matrix GUI element is high up on
my TODO list. It *might* even make it into the upcoming release as a non-
official, "hidden" testing feature. I'll keep you posted.

The "real" matrix/vector editor(s) will definitely have to wait until the next
release cycle, as working on this carries a real danger of introducing serious
bugs into the existing data.frame editor. It's definitely still on the TODO
list, though.

(*) For the approach that I had outlined, before, I could not think of a clean
way to insert the edited data into the generated code and provide run-again-
links.