[rkward-devel] mac port updated

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 24 14:56:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday 24 October 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> i've updated the mac port of RKWard to 0.6.0 now, and as thomas requested,
> also edited the wiki page to sound a little more optimistic, which should
> reflect the current status ;-)
>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Mac

thanks! I'm still waiting for the Windows bundle to upload (I had some
connectivity problems), and I'll wait with the highly visible announcements
(freshmeat and kde-apps.org) until that is available. Announcement on this
list to follow in a few minutes.

> i marked the fink instructions as "obsolete", hope that's ok.

Yes, definitely.

> when i was testing the new bundle, my colleague jana confirmed that these
> disk image installers usually copy *everything* to /Applications (the
> current bundle installs mostly to /opt/rkward, only the start scripts go
> to /Applications/RKWard). it might be worth a try to change /opt/rkward to
> some folder below /Applications/RKWard, because this would make
> uninstallation and therefore updates easier in the future: just drag the
> RKWard folder to the trashcan. an update script can also run "rm -rf
> /Applications/RKWard", if we want that (it could of course also remove
> /opt/rkward, but i'd hesitate because it could cause unwanted damage if we
> just removed folders below /opt).

Sounds plausible. Then I guess there'll be an RKWard icon right inside
/Applications/RKWard, and everything else stuffed into a subdirectory, right?
I'm all for it, but of course it should get decent testing, first.

> one last thing, i propose to change the main page if the wiki a little. it
> currently reads like it assumes everyone already knows what RKWard is. so i
> think it would be a good idea to add another text box before/above the
> "current news", containing one screenshot showing RKWard in action, and
> next to it one/two sentences explaining that it's a GUI for R. right below
> that, with a little space, there should be three columns with icons of the
> three mainly supported OSs:
>
>                           Get RKWard 0.6.0:
>
>              [img]              [img]             [img]
>          for GNU/Linux       for Windows       for MacOS X

Go for it (but, of course, please preview your changes extra carefully, before
touching the front page).

> linking to the respective wiki pages (or even the bundles for the latter
> two?)

I think the intermediate step of the platform specific wiki pages is still
needed. But of course we could add more promiment download links on the top of
these pages.