[rkward-devel] mac port updated

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Oct 24 14:33:58 UTC 2012

hi,

i've updated the mac port of RKWard to 0.6.0 now, and as thomas requested,
also edited the wiki page to sound a little more optimistic, which should
reflect the current status ;-)
 http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Mac

i marked the fink instructions as "obsolete", hope that's ok.

when i was testing the new bundle, my colleague jana confirmed that these disk
image installers usually copy *everything* to /Applications (the current
bundle installs mostly to /opt/rkward, only the start scripts go to
/Applications/RKWard). it might be worth a try to change /opt/rkward to some
folder below /Applications/RKWard, because this would make uninstallation and
therefore updates easier in the future: just drag the RKWard folder to the
trashcan. an update script can also run "rm -rf /Applications/RKWard", if we
want that (it could of course also remove /opt/rkward, but i'd hesitate
because it could cause unwanted damage if we just removed folders below /opt).

one last thing, i propose to change the main page if the wiki a little. it
currently reads like it assumes everyone already knows what RKWard is. so i
think it would be a good idea to add another text box before/above the
"current news", containing one screenshot showing RKWard in action, and next
to it one/two sentences explaining that it's a GUI for R. right below that,
with a little space, there should be three columns with icons of the three
mainly supported OSs:

                          Get RKWard 0.6.0:

             [img]              [img]             [img]
         for GNU/Linux       for Windows       for MacOS X

linking to the respective wiki pages (or even the bundles for the latter two?)

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf