[rkward-devel] [rkward-users] Select cases

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Oct 22 19:02:37 UTC 2012

hi,

am Montag 22 Oktober 2012, 10:33:41 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> it will be a while, before I will have time to look at this in any detail.

and also, it's nothing too fancy. i'd like to learn more about embeddable
plugins as a next step, because i think this doesn't really help as much as it
could as a standalone dialog (you probably want to be able to subset your data
in all kinds of dialogs).

the plugin docs seem to concentrate on how to *embed* plugins, is there also
some documentation on what needs to be done to write an *embeddable* plugin? i
was thinking that maybe this could also be done automatically by toggling some
magical "make_embeddable" switch in an rkwarddev script.

> But I have one question, already, even if it is a few steps further: When
> finished, this plugin should really be merged into the "official" release,
> so users don't have to install it as an add-on.

true.

> AFAIR that would be the first rkwarddev-based plugin to be in the main
> sources. Do you have a plan on how we should handle this in SVN? Certainly
> the rkwarddev-script used to generate it should be added to SVN, although
> probably in some dedicate subdirectory of "plugins". But perhaps the
> generated xml, js, rkh-file should also be moved to a/this subdirectory, to
> avoid accidentally modifying it by hand?

i do support the idea of including this plugin into the default installation
bundle. on the other hand, in general i also like the flexibility of it being
an external plugin, so it can be updated inbetween releases.

one way to achieve both could be that we simply include copies of the latest
XML/JS/rkh files in RKWard's plugin directory, but keep the external plugin as
it is for further development?

either way, something like a "scripted_plugins" subdirectory would indeed be
helpful, perhaps like this:

 plugins/
   scripted_plugins/
     rk.plugin1/
       inst/
         rkward/
           plugins/
             somedialog.js
             somedialog.rkh
             somedialog.xml
           rk.plugin1.pluginmap
           rkwarddev_script.R
     rk.plugin2/
       inst/
         rkward/
           plugins/
             otherdialog.js
             otherdialog.rkh
             otherdialog.xml
           rk.plugin2.pluginmap
           rkwarddev_script.R
   all_scripted_plugins.pluginmap

the file "all_scripted_plugins.pluginmap" should then include all .pluginmaps
below and itself be included in "all.pluginmap".

to add a new plugin there, you'd copy your rkwarddev script here:

 plugins/
   scripted_plugins/
     rk.plugin3/
       inst/
         rkward/
           rkwarddev_script.R

and run it with "[...]/plugins/scripted_plugins" as output directory, probably
after testing it somewhere else.