[rkward-devel] Trouble uninstalling on MacOS

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Oct 17 12:51:52 UTC 2012

hi aaron,

Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2012, 20:46:20 schrieb Aaron Batty:
> I'm fine with ripping out everything to do with RKWard and installing
> fresh, but I don't even know where to look for all the pieces. It's clear
> that something is lingering from the old installation, even though I
> uninstalled via the port command, and have even ripped out MacPorts...

everything you installed via MacPorts should have been installed to /opt/local
(that is, unless you manually changed that directory, but let's assume you
didn't), whereas the RKWard .dmg installs to /opt/rkward. this is different on
purpose and demanded by MacPorts, because otherwise the .dmg would easily mess
up a MacPorts installation.

but that is only the programs, not their configuration. those ususally go to
$HOME/.rkward, you already seem to have found that directory. finally, there's
the RKWard folder in /Applications which needs to be removed.

however, i imagine the problem is not so much directly related to RKWard, but
all the other stuff that was pulled by MacPorts as a dependency. when you
install the rkward-devel port, KDE and R are also installed (to /opt/local),
and you're probably still running the dbus service off that installation as
well. you could try the following:

 - make sure the .dmg is fully uninstalled as described in the README
 - remove (or rename) $HOME/.rkward
 - rename /opt/local to /opt/somethingelse temporarily
 - restart the system (so no services can be lauched)
 - install the .dmg

does that help? if not, did you add /opt/local/bin or something similar to
your $PATH variable?

in case you see the "no plugins are installed" message, that can usually be
fixed by looking at "RKWard" -> "Preferences..." -> "Plugins". you should see
at least one .pluginmap file there, namely "all.pluginmap". if not, you can
add it manually. for the .dmg installation it should point to
  /opt/rkward/share/apps/rkward/all.pluginmap
this will then give you back the menus. the error message is not related to
missing R packages (almost all menu items in RKWard are implemented as
plugins).

> (BTW, the only person in class who is having any trouble with RKWard is a
> girl on a Mac running 10.6.8 and with no free space on her hard drive. --She
> can't install, of course. No one else seems to be having any trouble.)

well, we can't provide additional disk space, all right ;-) but that's very
encouraging news!

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf