[rkward-devel] Trouble uninstalling on MacOS

Aaron Batty abatty at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Wed Oct 17 11:46:20 UTC 2012

Dear All:

I seem to have completely gorfed my RKWard installation on my home (main)
Mac. I wanted to remove the manually-installed MacPorts version and install
the newest .dmg bundle, which is what my students are using (most of them
are on the Mac), and what I'm using on my laptop and work desktop.

I uninstalled rkward-devel via MacPorts, then installed from the .dmg.

RKWard started after that, but most of the menus were labeled "(No item)"
or something similar. It seemed that none of the packages were loaded.

I tried updating packages in RKWard, but this didn't help.

I then uninstalled RKWard following the instructions here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rkwardextras/files/MacOSX/

--Which I successfully used at work to uninstall before updating to the
newest bundled image.

I reinstalled from the .dmg. Same thing.

I uninstalled all MacPorts packages (this is the only one I was still
using). Same thing.

I uninstalled MacPorts. Same thing.

I followed the uninstall procedure for the bundled image again, then
removed the .rkward directory from my home directory, and reinstalled from
the bundled installer. When I started RKWard, there were only a few menus,
but a message came up saying I didn't have any plugins. I went to
"Settings-->Manage R Packages..." and loaded all installed packages. I also
updated them all. It asked to install them in ~/.rkward/library, which is
where I'm pretty sure I had had them installed last time (before I deleted
the entire .rkward directory), since /opt/rkward/lib/R/lib/ was
unwriteable. The menus came back. I can do analyses and plots again.

I tried to import an SPSS file, and was told that "foreign" was not
installed. The package manager can't seem to find it, although I could find
it by searching. I updated and applied it. This appeared in the output:

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object
'/Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so':
  dlopen(/Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so,
6): Symbol not found: _libintl_dgettext
  Referenced from: /Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so
  Expected in: /opt/rkward/lib/R/lib/x86_64/libR.dylib

--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object
'/Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so':
  dlopen(/Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so,
6): Symbol not found: _libintl_dgettext
  Referenced from: /Users/abatty/.rkward/library/foreign/libs/x86_64/foreign.so
  Expected in: /opt/rkward/lib/R/lib/x86_64/libR.dylib

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : could not find function "read.spss"
Calls: local -> eval.parent -> eval -> eval -> eval -> eval

--It looks like it's trying to find it in /opt/, but it can't write
there...

I'm fine with ripping out everything to do with RKWard and installing
fresh, but I don't even know where to look for all the pieces. It's clear
that something is lingering from the old installation, even though I
uninstalled via the port command, and have even ripped out MacPorts...

Any ideas? It's pretty inconvenient if I can't prepare my lesson materials
at home! (BTW, the only person in class who is having any trouble with
RKWard is a girl on a Mac running 10.6.8 and with no free space on her hard
drive. --She can't install, of course. No one else seems to be having any
trouble.)

Thanks, guys.

Aaron