[rkward-devel] RKWard-devel Digest, Vol 67, Issue 2

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 29 08:14:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday 28 March 2012, Michael Cohen wrote:
> Is there any easy way to have rkward re-initialize in a user account.
>  First b/c I compiled first as a user using "0.5.7" and uninstalled then
> using the development release rkward was found in the users directory
> making it inconsistent and producing errors.  Easily fixed when realized.

yes. That part is documented in the troubleshooting section of our FAQ
(http://p.sf.net/rkward/faq). I'm afraid there is not much we can do about it
except for documenting the issue.

>  Second, somehow the menu bar disappeared in the version only used in my
> account and the rkward window was glued to the top of the screen.

KDE used to provide applications with a default shortcut to hide / show the
menubar. This was Ctrl+M, IIRC. Using KDE 4.7.4, I don't see the feature in
RKWard anymore, so I guess it was deactivated in kdelibs (for good reasons).

> I could
> not find where it was causing a problem so I moved my home directory out of
> its login path, created a new directory and merged my home directory.
>  Attempts to delete parts of .kde, .rkward, .config, .local, ...
> were not successful

The main config file is
   ~/.kde/share/config/rkwardrc
shortcuts and toolbars have configuration files in the dir
   ~/.kde/share/apps/rkward

> Also is the R rkward packages documented someplace?  Where is the source
> code if any stored?

Documentation is provided in the regular R way. I.e. try e.g.
   ?rkward
   ?rk.edit
on the console, or search for topics in the "Help search" tool window. Also,
you can configure your "Workspace" tool window to "Show all environments", then
browse the environment "package:rkward". Help for individual functions is
accessible from the context menu as "Search Help".

The source code is shipped inside the rkward source distribution / our SVN
repository in the directory rkward/rbackend/rpackages/rkward.

> Still was unable to deal with the one windows machine with a problem.
>  Perhaps it is nvidia drive dependent as on my intel graphics laptop the
> bundle seems to work find.  I would have to recompile with R2.14 which is
> more work on Windows and could not find debugging error files for the
> backend crash i was seeing.

Hm, too bad. Please let us know, if you have any further ideas / observations
on this.