[rkward-devel] crashing bug and RKWard problems on Mac

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Jun 29 14:33:18 UTC 2012

hi,

a colleague of mine ran into some problems with the mac bundle. i can confirm
that the right-click over "CD to script directory" crash also happens on my
linux desktops!

I've tried running RKWard on my Mac and unfortunately encountered a
number of bugs making the use of RKWard virtually impossible.

- On start up I get two successive error messages:

1. "No mime types installed. Check that shared-mime-info is installed,
and that XDG_DATA_DIRS is not set, or includes /usr/share."

2. "Could not find mime type “application/octet-stream”"

- Possibly related to this, I was unable to open R-Scripts (I
encountered no problems with saved workspaces). I got the following
error message when trying it via the "Files" column:

"The url you are trying to open
('file:///Users/frede
ikaust/Desktop/test.R') is not a local file or the
filetype is not supported by RKWard. Do you want to open the url in the
default application?"

When using the Open-function (Cmd O) RKWard crashes without error message.

On debug level 5 I get the following output when running RKWard from the
terminal and open a file (Cmd O):

rkward(584)/KSharedDataCache ensureFileAllocated: This system misses
support for posix_fallocate() -- ensure this partition has room for at
least 10547296 bytes.
rkward(584)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
rkward(584)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
rkward(584)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment
0x111902000
Unable to start Dr. Konqi

Here's my printenv output:

TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
SHELL=/bin/bash

ERM=xterm-256color
TMPDIR=/var/folders/hq/x1h_vr196f1_0k_yth9vnfqm0000gn/T/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-SpLJRH/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION03
OLDPWD=/Applications/RKWard/RKWard.app/Contents
TERM_SESSION_IDX1E6583-2521-477B-ACD2-C5342DE06427
USER=frederikaust
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-oXffXv/Listeners
Apple_Ubiquity_Message=/tmp/launch-Yxi0oT/Apple_Ubiquity_Message
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:3
PATH=/opt/rkward/bin:/opt/rkward/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/texbin
PWD=/Applications/RKWard/RKWard.app/Contents/MacOS
DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET=/tmp/launch-OCZJES/unix_domain_listener
EDITOR=mate -w
LANGÞ_DE.UTF-8
HOME=/Users/frederikaust
SHLVL=1
LOGNAME=frederikaust
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-JvNYtj/org.x:0
SECURITYSESSIONID6a5
_=/usr/bin/printenv

Finally, I encountered two minor bugs:

- Saving and restoring the workplace layout independently from saving a
workspace doe
 not work. I always startup with the standard
rkward_welcome setup.

- Right clicking the deactivated "CD to script directory" button
sometimes crashes RKWard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Frederik Aust