[rkward-devel] issue with frozen "open file" window

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jul 9 09:56:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Monday 09 July 2012, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> I have recently a (very reproducible on my machine)

does that mean "all of the time", or only "very often"?

> problem with the
> "open script" window, which basically hangs and does not allow to open
> anything. The whole interface is then gray shaded (without any menu,
> scripts etc visible) and nothing works. See a capture:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6113358/rkward_issue.png
>
> I am using the devel version:
> $ rkward --version
> Qt: 4.8.1
> KDE Development Platform: 4.8.4 (4.8.4)
> RKWard: 0.5.7z+0.5.8+devel1
>
> Here is a link to the output file obtained with $ rkward --debug-level 5.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6113358/rkward.frontend.nn4647
>
> ( I am not sure I need to send the whole thing? maybe only a small part
> is interesting?)

Yes, typically only the last ~100 lines are of interest. In this case, it's
only the very last line. Unfortunately, that means, the debug log simply
doesn't show what's the problem.

> Please let me know what more information I can provide.

I don't really have an idea, what could be the problem. I guess it is related
to some local settings. Two things to test:

1) Try the File->Open dialog in kwrite or kate. Does that work?
2) Close RKWard, rename ~/.kde/share/config/rkwardrc , start RKWard, and try
again.

*If* 2) fixes the problem, you could try to track down which setting in the
configuration was causing trouble. I.e. open the renamed rkwardrc in a text
editor, modify, save as ~/.kde/share/config/rkwardrc , start RKWard and test
whether the issue occurs. My guesses would be that the sections "[KFileDialog
Settings]", "[Recent Dirs]", or "[Recent Files]" could be the problem, so
simply try removing those, one at a time.