[rkward-devel] output menu

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Jan 7 22:45:09 UTC 2012

hi,

Am Dienstag 28 Juni 2011, 12:06:10 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Monday 27 June 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > in the meantime, i began to think of something new which i'd find cool
> > for the results.
[...]
> > a) possibility of some form of a table of contents (like named anchors
> > in the HTML), e.g. for longer analysis results, and a "top" link at the
> > end of each "subresult". could be implemented as two functions like
> > rk.insert.TOC() and rk.insert.toplink() and then be used in plugins. the
> > "top" link would only jump back to the beginning of the plugin results
> > it belongs to. this would make it easier to navigate through results.
[...]
> Absolutely. Each of these features would be good to have. Some comments:
> a) Plugin output is expected to start with a call to rk.header(level=1).
> And  it is guaranteed to ends with .rk.make.hr(). So, probably, it's enough
> to make these smarter, and we don't need any additional functions (although
> .rk.make.hr() should probably be renamed).
> Regarding the TOC, perhaps this should be written to a separate HTML file,
> and  be displayed in a frame?
[...]
Am Donnerstag 30 Juni 2011, 16:02:41 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Yes, I know, frames are sort of 1990ish. But the problem is not so much the
> layout (that's certainly solvable in CSS, somehow), but rather updating the
> TOC. The output is generated step-by-step by simply appending to the end of
> it. Having the TOC in the same file would mean considerably more
> complicated modifications. In contrast, if the TOC is kept in a separate
> file, we can simply append to each.

i've just comitted some small changes to rk.header(), .rk.make.hr() and
rk.set.output.html.file() which do add the desired TOC feature to the HTML
output. it's still all in one file, new results are added dynamically to the
menu by a JavaScript function call. maybe it doesn't look too pretty yet, but
with a little CSS this can be made into a simple and well working solution.

you'll need to reset the output file to check it out.