[rkward-devel] SF project upgrade - SVN repository URL will change

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Dec 30 17:27:13 UTC 2012

Hi!

SourceForge is switching some central project services to a new code base.
They are asking us to follow this upgrade, now, and sooner or later, they are
going to make the upgrade mandatory.

Well, in theory there is not much to worry about, since all services we use
for RKWard will continue working (retirement of the central wiki installation
is a _separate_ issue). Even most URLs will continue to work, with the notable
exception of the SVN repository. AFAICS, the new SVN repo URL will be
  http[s]://svn.code.sf.net/p/rkward/code/[trunk]
(alternatively, svn://-protocol will be available).

Migrating your working copy should not be much of a problem (whether you're
using read-only or read-write access), although I can't give you reliable
instructions, yet. Basically just
  svn switch --relocate old_url new_url
Anybody who doesn't do this in time should simply receive an error message on
the next "svn up", and can read up on the details, then.

However, there are also several scripts, and bits of documentation which will
have to be adjusted to the new repository URL. and we'll have to make sure to
adjust those in a timely manner. I can think of:

  - MacPorts port and "RKWard on Mac" wiki page
  - KDE on Windows emerge script
  - Launchpad repository import (for daily builds, and translation template)
  - Freshmeat project URLs
  - Debian package (low priority; the repository URL is included only for
reference)
  - "RKWard SVN" wiki page.

Let me know, if you can think of more things to fix.

So in order to keep the period of breakage and confusion to a minimum, I
suggest to fix a date for the migration. I suggest Jan, 15, roughly around
10:00(am) UTC. That's an entirely arbitrary pick. If you would prefer another
date, just say so.

I'll take care of triggering the upgrade, and adjusting KDE on Windows,
launchpad, freshmeat, and the debian package. Meik, can you take care of the
MacPorts port, and all affected wiki pages?