[rkward-devel] R function to add plugin?

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Sep 25 16:54:06 UTC 2011

hi,

am Samstag 24 September 2011 (13:50) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Friday 23 September 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > at some point you were thinking about making it possible for RKWard to
> > manage R sessions running on distant machines.
>
> yes, but it's not really a short-term vision.

just nagging, it worked last time ;-)

> 2) Implement a feature + GUI to set up a port-forwarding / tunnelling
> between frontend and backend machines. Also some common disk-space will
> have to be mounted on the backend machine.

as a first step, this could probably be done as a GNU/linux-only feature and
use ssh + sshfs. there are ports to other OSes as well, i think.

> Maybe the restarting feature can be realized in the somewhat shorter term,
> though.

i can surely come up with even bigger ideas, if they make my main issue look
easier to implement to the point where it feels almost done...

btw. i spent some time on the implementation of logic in the rkwarddev package
(those trains...). logic should be *fully* scriptable with 0.01-5, and quite
straigtforward so. check the examples in ?rk.XML.logic, or
  source("http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/skeleton_dialog.R")
to see it in action (add the pluginmap to RKWard an look at the second tab).