[rkward-devel] R function to add plugin?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Sep 24 11:50:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 23 September 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> at some point you were thinking about making it possible for RKWard to
> manage R sessions running on distant machines.

yes, but it's not really a short-term vision.

> i guess the underlying
> difficulties are related, aren't they?

They are. Although for the remote R backend feature several more issue will
have to be taken care of:
1) More modular initialization (basically the same thing which needs to be
done for the re-starting feature).
2) Implement a feature + GUI to set up a port-forwarding / tunnelling between
frontend and backend machines. Also some common disk-space will have to be
mounted on the backend machine.
3) The most fun: Find all uses of plain file names passed between frontend and
backend, and add a proper "translation" between file name on the frontend, and
the backend. In some cases, automatic copying of files to the common disk-space
will be need.

> maybe this could be implemented in
> one effort, for a next release.

Well, never say never, but this means a fairly large time investment, and
there are really a bunch of other things that I'd like to take care of before
this. So I don't think the remote backend feature is going to happen this soon
(unless somebody else works on it, of course). Maybe the restarting feature
can be realized in the somewhat shorter term, though.