[rkward-devel] first RKWard enhancer on CRAN

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Sep 12 14:25:57 UTC 2011

hi,

Am Freitag, 9. September 2011, 23:01:39 schrieb meik michalke:
> Am Freitag, 9. September 2011, 09:53:23 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > nice. For those, who install this package after an "svn up", the provided
> > plugin will be added, automatically, now.
>
> cool, i'm looking forward to testing this :-)

works great! one minor thing: it would be interesting to see the names of the
packages the info message is referring to.

> > 2) A repository for RKWard plugins packages which should not (yet) go to
> > CRAN for whatever reason (as a drop-in replacement for the current GHNS
> > repository)
>
> yes, that i can do in no time.

should this repository be part of the rkwardextras project on sf.net? all we'd
need is an accessible folder for a hierarchy like this:

<repo_root>
│
├── bin
│   ├── macosx
│   │   └── leopard
│   │       └── contrib
│   │           └── 2.13
│   │               ├── PACKAGES
│   │               ├── PACKAGES.gz
│   │               ├── ...
│   │               ├── rkwarddev_0.01-1.tgz
│   │               └── XiMpLe_0.03-1.tgz
│   └── windows
│       └── contrib
│           └── 2.13
│               ├── PACKAGES
│               ├── PACKAGES.gz
│               ├── ...
│               ├── rkwarddev_0.01-1.zip
│               └── XiMpLe_0.03-1.zip
└── src
    └── contrib
        ├── PACKAGES
        ├── PACKAGES.gz
        ├── ...
        ├── rkwarddev_0.01-1.tar.gz
        └── XiMpLe_0.03-1.tar.gz

in theory the windows and mac packages must be built in their according
environments. but in practice this is irrelevant as long as a package is
written in pure R (you can just zip up the built/installed linux binaries, as
they're compatible), and our packages won't even have that, because the "inst"
directory is just copied as-is anyway.
one more thing on that: there is an official package type "Frontend", should
we use that one for packages without real R payload? from the description i
think it would fit:
 o http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Frontend

the PACKAGES files can be updated by
  write_PACKAGES(repo_sub_dir, type=XXX, latestOnly=FALSE)
from the tools package, where XXX must be one of "source", "mac.binary" or
"win.binary", depending on where "repo_sub_dir" points to.

you can then add http://example.com/<repo_root> to your repo list and install
the listed packages.

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf