[rkward-devel] thoughts about RKWard on Mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 11 07:50:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Monday 10 October 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> one thing that i would like to give a try if/when i really get a Mac is to
> write a portfile for the MacPorts project. the fact that fink is stuck with
> KDE 4.4.1 since september 2010, while MacPorts delivers 4.7.2, does not
> really motivate me to even try fink in the first place:
> http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/kdebase4-x11
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kde4-baseapps/Portfile
>
> any objections?

no objections. There were two reasons for basing the instructions on fink:
1) That's what I tried, when I had the chance.
2) Fink offers an x11-based kdelibs, while (as far as I am aware), MacPorts
does not. This is not a show-stopper, but the rkward graphics device will need
to be ported to a Mac native solution. Until then, our on-screen graphics
related features (basically, everything in the menu bar and tool bar on a
graphics device) will be unavailable. This should not be a problem during
compilation, however (in theory), and using the Quartz-device should still be
possible, or can be realized, easily by modifying rk.screen.device().

But in fact, MacPorts looks like the more actively maintained project, and so
it probably make a lot of sense to go that way.