[rkward-devel] crash on window 64, something is biting KDE/QT

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 8 12:32:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday 08 November 2011, Mischa Vreeburg wrote:
> I'm trying to get the installation bundle rkward for windows to work, but
> it crashes allways.
> When I start rkward.bat, i get the question if I want to save the
> workspace.

ok, that's a cross-platform quirk. You will want to go to Settings->Configure
RKWard->General, and set "Startup Action" to "Show selection dialog
(default)", to restore a more useful behavior.

> If I press cancel, rkward starts as normal.
> I can install packages, run R, run the plugins,
> BUT any interaction, which tries to load/open/save files crashes Rkward.
> The Same behaviour is seen with kwrite.
>
> Therefore my conclusion is that something is biting that interface part.

Yes, unfortunately the KDE file selection dialog appear to remain a source of
trouble on Windows. I still don't understand, exactly when or why these
problems occur.

The first thing to check is whether you are using "native" file dialogs or not.
On the very first start, RKWard should have prompted you about that, suggesting
to disable "native" file dialogs. However, it appears that there are a few
cases, where it's the non-native dialogs that cause trouble. You should try
with both settings. To do so, start a command shell, enter

cd C:\your\path\to\RKWard\KDE\bin\kcmshell4.exe platform

try checking or unchecking the "Use native system file dialogs" option, then
start kwrite and test. If you have found a setting that works, try that in
RKWard.

As to the root cause of the trouble: This is still mysterious to me. Among the
bug reports on this issue, in the KDE bug tracker, some comments indicate that
this may be a problem when there are many drive letters (10+), or sometimes
when some mapped drives are slow (e.g. tape drives). If there is anything that
might be even remotely unusual about your setup, please let us know.

> What information do you need to trace the problem?

Do you know how to use a debugger? In that case, you could provide us with a
backtrace of the crash. Start RKWard as
   rkward.bat --debugger C:\your\path\to\gdb
or attach gdb to a running rkward.frontend.exe process using the "--pid"
option.