[rkward-devel] character encoding on windows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri May 13 17:26:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 13 May 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> ok, did that, it gets me the same messed-up results. so it's an R issue.

well, that doesn't help you much, but I'm relieved, then ;-).

> perhaps trying with iconv() might be an option left.

Yes, probably that's the way to go. In case you have any use for that, we have
an "icon.recursive()" in the SPSS-import plugin (recurses into lists,
converting encoding of all list elements).

> they're directly read from files by the external command; on windows, this
> command is usually "perl C:/TreeTagger/cmd/tokenize.pl <file>".

Then, what if you redirect the output of that to a file, and use readLines()
(potentially with encoding="UTF-8") on that? At least this should bypass any
oddities of shell(), in case that is the cause of the problem.