[rkward-devel] [rkward-announce] RKWard 0.5.5 is released

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Sun Mar 20 12:23:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 13:10 +0100, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> please send replies to rkward-devel, instead of rkward-announce. The latter is
> meant to be a very low volume list, for announcements, only. I'm quoting your
> full mail below, so no need to re-send, though.

It was actually meant to be sent to you directly (I cancelled my posting
to the announce mailing-list as soon as I realized it was the wrong
email).

> On Sunday 20 March 2011, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 18:52 +0100, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > > With a few days delay, I have uploaded RKWard 0.5.5, today.
> >
> > Dear Thomas,
> >
> > I was updating the rkward package for Fedora this morning and I noticed
> > two new files:
> >    /usr/bin/rkward.rbackend
> >    /usr/share/config/rkward.knsrc
> >
> > The first one surprises me a bit. Do we really add a new file
> > in /usr/bin? I could not see it mentioned on the ChangeLog and it does
> > not seem to have a man page as well. Could you let me know the purpose
> > of this file ?
>
> The relevant ChangeLog entry is "GUI frontend and R backend now run in
> separate processes". This is the binary for the backend process.
>
> You may be right in that it does not really belong in /usr/bin/ , since it is
> not meant to be invoked directly by users. However, I'm also not sure, where
> it should go, instead. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/ ?

I believe this would be a better place as in /usr/bin it will for sure
be confusing.

> (And of course the same point could always have been made for rkward.bin,
> too).

Indeed.

> > The second one seems to be a configuration file but I am confused by its
> > location. Why not having it on /etc ?
>
> It is installed in ${CONFIG_INSTALL_DIR}. This file is not meant to be edited
> by users.
>
> > In addition when I look at it on the tarball I am not sure what it is
> > doing. It sets a "InstallPath=.rkward/plugins/" but that's not true
> > from /usr/share/config. It might be from /usr/share but I'm not even
> > sure.
>
> The installPath is relative to the user's home directory. See
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/K_Hot_New_Stuff2 .

Ok, so no problem for this file.

Thanks for your quick answer,

Best regards,