[rkward-devel] [rkward-announce] RKWard 0.5.5 is released

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Mar 20 12:10:50 UTC 2011

Hi Pierre,

please send replies to rkward-devel, instead of rkward-announce. The latter is
meant to be a very low volume list, for announcements, only. I'm quoting your
full mail below, so no need to re-send, though.

On Sunday 20 March 2011, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 18:52 +0100, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > With a few days delay, I have uploaded RKWard 0.5.5, today.
>
> Dear Thomas,
>
> I was updating the rkward package for Fedora this morning and I noticed
> two new files:
>    /usr/bin/rkward.rbackend
>    /usr/share/config/rkward.knsrc
>
> The first one surprises me a bit. Do we really add a new file
> in /usr/bin? I could not see it mentioned on the ChangeLog and it does
> not seem to have a man page as well. Could you let me know the purpose
> of this file ?

The relevant ChangeLog entry is "GUI frontend and R backend now run in
separate processes". This is the binary for the backend process.

You may be right in that it does not really belong in /usr/bin/ , since it is
not meant to be invoked directly by users. However, I'm also not sure, where
it should go, instead. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/ ?

(And of course the same point could always have been made for rkward.bin,
too).

> The second one seems to be a configuration file but I am confused by its
> location. Why not having it on /etc ?

It is installed in ${CONFIG_INSTALL_DIR}. This file is not meant to be edited
by users.

> In addition when I look at it on the tarball I am not sure what it is
> doing. It sets a "InstallPath=.rkward/plugins/" but that's not true
> from /usr/share/config. It might be from /usr/share but I'm not even
> sure.

The installPath is relative to the user's home directory. See
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/K_Hot_New_Stuff2 .