[rkward-devel] First release candidate of RKWard 0.5.4 / SVN open for new features

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Feb 14 14:59:23 UTC 2011

hi,

i remembered this one lately, while the JSS paper was being finished:

Am Samstag, 2. Oktober 2010, um 19:55:41 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Friday 01 October 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> > when i'm working on my packages, rebuilding them and replacing the
> > previous version, i always have to restart RKWard completely to get the
> > new package to fully load. at least the documentation won't show
> > otherwise. i'd expect
> >
> > this to work:
> >  - load package foo v0.1 [e.g. library(foo)]
> >  - unload package foo v0.1 [e.g. via workspace browser]
> >  - install package foo v0.2 [replacing v0.1]
> >  - load package foo v0.2 [e.g. library(foo)]
>
> have you tried the same in plain R? I'd be surprised if it's any
> different,  there.

you're right, there's no difference. for typical usage this is not a big deal,
since you usually don't reload different versions of a package all the time.
only if your writing/debugging a package it's a real nuisance to restart the
whole application over and over again, for each and every smallest change you
made and want to check the outcome.

simply unloading and reloading a package doesn't work (therefore i wonder what
the package removal feature in R could be used for at all?), as well as is
saving and restoring the workspace with RKWard.

when i understood that you put the instance of R into a seperate process, i
was wondering if it would be possible to use that to elegantly solve the above
issue. i'm thinking of being able to restart the R engine alone, without the
need to quit RKWard. it would be really great for package development, if you
just had to press a button or call some rkward.R.restart() function to cleanly
"reload" the whole recent workspace in a new instance of R. the just added
functions to save/open your session might be of use here as well, as somehow
RKWard would need to preserve your working enviroment (opened script files
could remain as they are, but things like help pages and editor windows would
have to be refreshed at least).

can you follow me?

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf