[rkward-devel] rkward will not open RData files with non-ascii characters in file path via command line or xdg

stfs stfs at fs-analyse.dk
Sat Dec 3 11:05:58 UTC 2011

Dear dev list
I have tried to find a way to report a bug - I apologize if this is the
wrong way.

My system is Ubuntu lucid 10.04
rkward is the latest stable via ppa

Bug: rkward fails to open RData files via commandline which contain
Danish characters in their file paths. The error shows the path with the
offending characters shown as the utf8 "unknown char" character.

The same RData file can be opened from the rkward menu "open workspace"
without problems.

I have set up my system to automatically open RData files in rkward so
this issue is also present when I doubleclick an RData file.

To reproduce:
!) create or copy a RData file somewhere
2) change its name so it contains a Danish letter eg. ø
3) on the commandline:

rkward ø.RData

expected result: rkward opens with ø.RData as its workspace.

actual result: rkward opens and then produces an error which says

There has been an error opening file '/home/finn/?.Rdata':

best regards
Finn