[rkward-devel] rkh file for utility functions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Sep 19 14:49:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 19 September 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> As some of you may have seen from the trunk, I have started to add
> some documentation for the functions in public.R and
> public_graphics.R. I am writing the documentation as a rkh file which
> can be accessed from F1 > RKWard for Users > Utility functions. Is a
> rkh file the right way to go about this? A proper R style (Rd)
> documentation would not be useful I suppose. Any other suggestions?

I think using an R style documentation might be a good idea after all. First,
we can simply link this into the rkh-documentation, in much the same way (it
should even be possible to link back to rkh-pages, using e.g.
rkward://pages/rkward_welcome as link URL).

Second, in the mid-term, it will probably be a good idea to provide an rkward-
compatibility package on CRAN, so that users who incorporate RKWard-specific
commands into their scripts can still share the scripts with others. Of course
some of the functions (including the plot history functions, probably) will
simply have no effect in this compatibility package. For that, Rd would be the
documentation format of choice, too.

> BTW, I'll add as many functions as I can understand, and create stubs
> for the rest.

Yes. And thanks! This really overdue. I should have started on it long ago...