[rkward-devel] some separate queries related to the plot history feature

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Sep 12 17:36:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 12 September 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> It should not get lost! Do you see 'NA'? It should at least use the
> old behavior of 'X: xlab, Y: ylab, main'. Now the code may not always
> be able to find xlab / ylab / main from the recorded plot. For
> example, the structure of a recorded (recorded using recordPlot ())
> lattice plot is completely different from base graphics:

sorry, I wasn't precise. Yes, I see the "X: xlab, Y: ylab"-label. But I was
surprised not to see the call for this plot.

I.e.:
plot (1, 1)
plot (2, 2)
*force append*
Now the history-dropdown menu shows
1: plot (1, 1)
2: X: 2; Y: 2;

> The "Append this plot" is supposed to be a safe guard action: append
> _any_ displayed plot no matter what its state / type is, using
> recordPlot (). For example, any call that does not go through,
> plot.new () / persp () / print.trellis () should still be appended to
> the history by this action. In such cases it may not possible, at
> least not with the current implementation, to extract any information
> at all.

And so we cannot assume that the last known plot-call was what generated this
plot. Hence it gets the "fallback" label, instead of "plot (2, 2)", correct?
Hm, probably not fixable, then (and not important at all).

Another thing: I just added a test to rkward_application_tests.R. Basically
this opens two devices and calls some of the history actions. Then it checks
whether the current plots are the expected ones. Somehow, when I try to mix in
trellis plots (e.g. for plots 2 and 4), the test starts to fail. I have not
really investigated, exactly what goes wrong, though. Perhaps you can have a
look, too?