[rkward-devel] some separate queries related to the plot history feature

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:25:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> BTW, I encountered some surprising behavior:
> When you add a plot using "Append this plot", the plot-call appears to be
> lost. Appending in any other way makes the plot-call is shown as expected. Is
> this intentional or a bug?

It should not get lost! Do you see 'NA'? It should at least use the
old behavior of 'X: xlab, Y: ylab, main'. Now the code may not always
be able to find xlab / ylab / main from the recorded plot. For
example, the structure of a recorded (recorded using recordPlot ())
lattice plot is completely different from base graphics:

xyplot (0~0)
a <- recordPlot ()
str (a) # insanely huge pairlist structure

In such cases the old hack for extracting xlab / ylab / main will not
yield anything.

The "Append this plot" is supposed to be a safe guard action: append
_any_ displayed plot no matter what its state / type is, using
recordPlot (). For example, any call that does not go through,
plot.new () / persp () / print.trellis () should still be appended to
the history by this action. In such cases it may not possible, at
least not with the current implementation, to extract any information
at all.

Regards,
--
Prasenjit