[rkward-devel] some separate queries related to the plot history feature

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Sep 11 13:03:05 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've just started playing with the new history, so no feedback on that, yet.
But some answers to these questions:

On Friday 10 September 2010, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> @ Thomas:
> 1. There was some hickup while committing (I hadn't updated in a
> while). I hope none of your commits are screwed up.

Looks fine to me.

> 2. Are the message boxes of fixed height but variable width? Some of
> the multiline text gets eaten up after 5/6 lines. But I guess, one
> should not narrate stories via message boxes ;)

I've run into problems with KMessageBox layout, before. Apparently a problem
in kdelibs.

I have not stumbled across the affected message boxes in the plot history, yet.
What do I need to do to see them?

> 3. We will need to wrap dev.set and dev.copy.. Otherwise, an
> independent user call of
>       dev.copy (device = x11, ...)
>       will not amount to the "duplicate" device behavior... But before
> doing so, we'll have to be careful to avoid recursion.

Won't the "regular" approach work? I.e. replace with a wrapper, which calls
the "real" dev.copy()/dev.set(). Since the "real" dev.set() will not call the
wrapper, no recursion.

In case you want only the internal call, without the wrapper, call the "real"
funtion directly.

> 4. Is it possible to assign "icons" to the message boxes? (This is not
> at all important though)

In theory, yes, but I'd like to keep this somewhat lean. What do you have in
mind? Separate icons for warnings, errors, information screens? That should be
doable, but I don't think I'll get around to do it for this release.

> 5. Where should the rkh files go for this?

I suggest you create one or two rkh files detailing the graphics device, plot
history, and associated settings. Place this in rkward/pages. You may want to
start linking it to the few existing pages in that directory, where
appropriate. I'll look into adding a direct link to this page(s) in the Help-
menu of the graphics window, later.