[rkward-devel] Snapshot 7 sep: new plot window too big

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Sep 8 14:28:46 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 08 September 2010, Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> Which arrow button do you mean sorry? If it is the usual upper right, it
> does not help, as it simply extend the window but still I can't see the
> bottom of window

For clarity, I'm attaching a screenshot. This is what I get for
   plot (1, 1)
with no previous device window opened. At the right of the toolbar, there is a
small arrow. Clicking it reveals the "Remove current plot" button.

Could you give some more detail on what this looks like for you? Does the
window go off the screen to the right, to the bottom, or both? Is the window
too large to fit on screen at all, or is it placed too far to the right/bottom,
or both?

One thing I note is that the toolbar does not appear to remember a changed
icon-size setting. I'll have to look into it.

> What is the "active" supposed to do? Without knowing much of the plugin,
> I would personally rather remove duplicate rather than previous/next, I
> like it pretty much!

Well, activate might indeed be a candidate for removal from the default
toolbar, too, assuming that most users will work with a single window most of
the time. What it does is set the device as active, i.e. subsequent plot calls
affect this device. See ?dev.set.

> Concerning changing button size, I feel in any case something should be
> done on windows... I had tried the win version and from the main
> interface the buttons execute line/selection/whole were not available
> directly, which is quite annoying!

Probably this is not really windows-specific, but a lot of parameters affect the
size of each button on the toolbar, and screen resolution differs, too. This
makes it pretty much impossible to predict just how much will fit on the
toolbar.

Of course it may be a good idea to trim down the number of buttons that are on
the main window toolbar by default. Does anybody use the "Previous
Window"/"Next Window" buttons?