[rkward-devel] rkwardtests package: done :-)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Oct 14 14:19:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 14 October 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> RKWard sould be able to get all the meta information that comes with the
> provider XML file, either through KHNS or directly, right? maybe this could
> also be used to get e.g. the plain name of a plugin set, without having to
> rely on tweaks to guess where the version number starts?

hm, true. Somehow, I had thought this was not possible, but in fact it is. I
think, the approach of stripping the version name is not all that bad though,
because:
- I have already committed it to SVN ;-)
- This solution could easily be extended to something that is not
(exclusively) GHNS-based. For instance, it may be a nice idea to allow the
user to enter the URL of a plugin pack, directly. In this case we would not
know the plain name. Possibly we could such a "manual download"-solution for
plugins that we do not "trust" enough to feel comfortable about placing them
in the repository.
- We can base deletion of old files on an identical guess (see below).

> i see. i'd hesitate to remove things here automatically by guesswork...
> maybe, at a later point, we could add some straightforward dialog that
> just lists all archives in that folder, with checkboxes to mark for
> deletion, so one could clean up manually?

Hm, that sounds like a good deal of work, both for developing this interface,
and for the user to clean up, manually.

I think the guesswork that I've implemented in SVN is not all that bad. For
instance, these files will all be detected as different versions of the same
plugin pack:
  my_plugins-0.1.tar.gz
  my_plugins-0.2.zip
  my_plugins.zip
while these will be detected as belonging to different plugin packs:
  my_plugins-0.1.tar.gz
  my_plugins_extended-0.1.tar.gz
further,
  my_plugins-0.1.doc