[rkward-devel] Downloadable plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 5 14:37:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 05 October 2010, meik michalke wrote:
> ok, what do you think about the overwrite idea? in most cases, at least for
> external plugins, i believe all plugins in a pluginmap will be authored by
> the same person. you could think of it like plugins would inherit the
> author information if no other was explicitly specified.

I think it leads to subtle questions such as "What happens when the <about> in
a plugin specifies author and homepage, but not a license. Should the licence
be 'inherited' from the .pluginmap?" I think this has some potential for
confusion, esp., if we ever do add another attribute.

For the use case of an identical <about> for several plugins and pluginmap,
you can simply use <include> (and possibly <insert>).

> i thought of something like "load all needed stuff for plugin testing, cd
> to unpacked plugin directory (or a tests subdir in that),  and run the
> residing test suite". it might help to either demand a fixed
> subdir/testsuite name scheme, or add a "plugintest" element to the <about>
> section.

Yes, sounds reasonable (though I'm not quite sure, exactly *when* the tests
will be run). Demanding a fixed naming scheme should be good enough, and helps
achieving some consistency. I'd propose to make the rule that
"tests/all_test.R" will be run (if it exists).

> you're talking about RKWard's testing framework in general, not an
> individual test, right? that can surely be done. from a first glance it
> should include all of tests/test_framework.R and a somehow generalized
> form of
> tests/all_tests.R -- do you agree?

Right.