[rkward-devel] Downloadable plugins

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Oct 5 10:07:46 UTC 2010

am Dienstag 05 Oktober 2010 (08:44) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Anyway, I guess for now that means that we should support the same <about>-
> semantics for both the .pluginmap, and for each individual plugin.

ok, what do you think about the overwrite idea? in most cases, at least for
external plugins, i believe all plugins in a pluginmap will be authored by the
same person. you could think of it like plugins would inherit the author
information if no other was explicitly specified.

but however this is finally implemented, it's probably a minor problem. at
least i have no emotional bonds to any solution here.

> > btw, how about including plugin tests in the archive as well, would that
> > be possible? i think it would help plugin developers a lot.
>
> Certainly possible in theory, but I'm not quite sure how easily it can be
> done.

i thought of something like "load all needed stuff for plugin testing, cd to
unpacked plugin directory (or a tests subdir in that),  and run the residing
test suite". it might help to either demand a fixed subdir/testsuite name
scheme, or add a "plugintest" element to the <about> section.

> I guess the first step might be to put the testing framework into an
> R package of its own (e.g. "rkwardtests"), so it can be loaded more
> easily, independent of the current working directory. Would you like to
> give that a try, next?

you're talking about RKWard's testing framework in general, not an individual
test, right? that can surely be done. from a first glance it should include
all of tests/test_framework.R and a somehow generalized form of
tests/all_tests.R -- do you agree?

[actually i had the same problem before, when i wrote the klausuR stuff. i
only made that into a real package because that seemed to be the proper way to
load my own functions and use them in the plugin.]

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf