[rkward-devel] static windows binary

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed May 5 21:32:26 UTC 2010

hi,

now that i've toyed around with the windows version a little (nice to see that
rkward can be run from a network share and even a DVD without installation), i
was wondering if a static build was possible.

the needed kdebase installation consumes around 700 MB of disk space, and i
doubt that rkward uses all of the installed tools and libs. if a static build
could save a significant amount of that space, i'd prefer to have such an
option.

well, i'm not using windows anyways, but it's hard to convice someone to give
rkward a try if that means to install so much otherwise unneeded stuff. apart
from that, of KDE could be stripped down to the really needed parts, rkward
could easily be burnt as a live CD for windows users.

how do you feel about this?

viele grüße :: m.eik

[btw., probably expect some feedback in the next weeks, as with two collegues
i've just started an R workshop at my institute. we expected 5-10 people, but
when more than 20 showed up we had to change for a bigger room... of course
we'll look at rkward, that's why i'm suddenly so interested in the windows
build. and that's where i got the idea of a static build: when 20 people try
to install using one WLAN hotspot...]
heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf