[rkward-devel] A not about KatePart

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat May 1 19:49:43 UTC 2010

Hi Dominik,

On Saturday 01 May 2010, Dominik Haumann wrote:
> recently I have blogged about the SmartInterace, SmartCursor and SmartRange
> in the KTextEditor interfaces [1]. In summary, from KDE SC 4.6 on KatePart
> will not implement this interface classes anymore. This means that
>
>   KTextEditor::SmartInterface* si =
>  qobject_cast<KTextEditor::SmartInterface>(doc)
>
> will return a null-pointer. As explained in the API documentation of the
> SmartInterface [2] you always have to check whether the pointer is null.
> RKWard is not doing that.

thanks for taking the time to check this, and for contacting us about this. I
have add checks for a null-pointer in our SVN (and should have done so
earlier; I am subscribed to kwrite-devel, and therefore I was aware of the
problem since a while).

Probably we will not switch to the new interface before KDE 4.5.0 is out.
Should we experience any problems, I'll let you know on kwrite-devel.

Thanks for keeping the SmartInterface working for KDE 4.5. That really makes
the transition much easier for us.