[rkward-devel] Preview release of RKWard 0.4.9c for KDE 3

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 02:55:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For those who are still using KDE 3 based systems: Please download and test
> rkward-0.4.9c-pre1 (http://p.sf.net/rkward/download). This finally brings
> support for the dynamic help system in R 2.10.x, and has a number of further
> fixes backported from the main development line.
>
> -- Release Schedule --
>
> I am unsure, how many of you still have an active interest in these
> compatibility releases, therefore I do not propose any specific timeline. If
> you are going to participate testing, please let me know, how much time you
> will need. I'd like to get this off my TODO list, soon, but of course it should
> get a decent amount of testing (esp. since this will hopefully be the last KDE
> 3 compatibilty release we need).

As long as R folks don't do anything drastic (like the current help
system) I think this should be the last KDE3 related release.
Otherwise, depending on when RedHat 6 is released (may be later this
yr) and on what it is based on (may be Fedora 11/12 -- hopefully KDE
4.3), we may need one more :(

> -- Things to look out for in testing --
>
> - Most importanty, of course, please give the help system (help browsing,
> following links, help search) a decent round of testing.

R: 2.10.1
In the past two days, the new help system has been working fine. I'll
keep the devel list updated if I see any errors.

> - If could test with different versions of R (if possible, including
> prereleases of R 2.11.x), that would be really helpful.

R: 2.11 (unstable)
Even with a slightly broken installation of 2.11 [*], rkward is doing
fine with the new help system. Now, I won't be able to spend much time
w/ the pre-release version of 2.11, so testing will be minimal. But if
needed, I have a "working setup," so I can quickly run some tests.

BTW, once rkward is installed (in ~/.kde) is it possible to check
which R version it was compiled against, without starting an instance
of rkward? Sys.getenv("R_VERSION") works but I have to start rkward
first!

Once again, a BIG thanks to Thomas.
--
Prasenjit

* The test installation of R 2.11 is not perfect (it does not seem to
add ~/R/.../2.11 to the .libPaths() on startup). But setting the
R_LIBS env variable before calling rkward seems to remedy the
situation.