[rkward-devel] paginate onscreen graphics device

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:33:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Thomas Friedrichsmeier
<thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>> Opinions, suggestions, criticisms are welcomed.
>
> Looks pretty neat, already! Some comments and wishlist:
> - Keeping one global history seems reasonable to me.
> - dev.interactive() or deviceIsInteractive() might help in figuring out which
> devices to ignore. Or perhaps, adding a call to onAddDevice() in
> rk.screen.device() will allow to keep a list of devices to watch. Note that
> RKWard preview windows should probably also be ignored (.rk.preview.devices).
> - Perhaps it would be useful to track the creation time or even the main title
> of each plot (if you can find a way to do that). Then we could additionally
> offer a drop-down list of the plots in the history.
> - internal.R and public.R are really getting crowded. Perhaps you can split
> all graphics functions into one or more separate files? ("svn add" to add the
> new files to SVN).
> - Some (configurable) way to limit the number/memory size of plots kept in
> history would be nice.

OK, so except one, all of these have been implemented. Taking care of
the corner cases is probably the most troublesome. The current
implementation should be fairly usable though. I'll keep testing, and
add

1. some error checks especially since the wrapper functions are being
made public.
2. a wrapper for trellis / grid graphics (Does anyone know what is the
analog of plot.new in lattice?)

Except one: creation time / main title! I couldn't find a way to get
anything out of the return value of recordPlot (). The only thing
possible is to replayPlot ()! It is being stored as a raw data. But I
think there is a way around (I'll dig into this).

More comments are welcome.

Regards,
--
Prasenjit