[rkward-devel] second execution 10 times slower than the first ?

Marco Barbàra jabbba at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:24:07 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm not a regularly rkward user, i installed it yesterday to try it.
(I'm not sure my English is good,sorry). But I have known of an
unexpected behavior of rkward (through an Italian statisticians forum),
so i tried it and obtained the same outcome.

> system.time(for(i in 1:100000) a=1)
user system elapsed
0.044 0.000 0.044   # first executions

> system.time(for(i in 1:100000) a=1)
user system elapsed
8.476 0.000 8.614   # subsequent ones

After the first execution this command takes approximately this amount of
time. And if I launch it for i in 1:1000000 it takes more than 85
seconds, compared to 1.2 seconds if launched just after rkward started.
Closing and restarting rkward makes this behavior reproducible.

Is that normal? I do not think so.

Some system information:

OS: Linux caprica 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 22:40:40 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    (Debian Squeeze/Sid but the other reporting person was running Ubuntu 9.10)
RKWard version: 0.5.2, using kde 4.3.4 (but I've not kde installed, only the rkward package dependencies)
CPU: model name	: Genuine Intel(R) CPU           U2700  @ 1.30GHz

I don't know what kind of other information I could post...

Thank you, RKWard seems a well designed project (but I'm a cli addicted ;-)  so don't trust my judgement).
Best regards,
Marco Barbàra