[rkward-devel] RKWard in gnome cannot library(rjava)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Dec 22 09:56:01 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Wednesday 22 December 2010, Fiona Hong wrote:
> Hi,I use RKWard in gnome and find it cannot library(rjava),when I run
> this,it return:
> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
>   call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
>   error: unable to load shared object
> '/home/fiona/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.12/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
>   libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'rJava'
>
> In Rcmd it can,but in RKWard it cannot! I like RKWard , could you tell me
> how to set RKWard ,so  I can run RKWard in gnome??

There are several problems, here. The first is that RKWard up to version 0.5.4
will crash when used with rJava. This is fixed in the current development
version, but not in an official release, so far. If you are using Ubuntu, you
may be interested in trying our daily builds (https://launchpad.net/~rkward-
devel/+archive/rkward-dailys). Otherwise you can compile the development
version yourself, following these instructions: http://p.sf.net/rkward/svn .

However, the error message you posted indicates that there is another problem.
This is unlikely to be related to gnome/KDE. Rather, I would guess that you
have several versions of R installed, and the one used by RKWard is not
properly configured for use with java. Try
  R CMD javareconf
. Re-installing library rJava from within RKWard might also help (run
  install.packages ("rJava")
in the RKWard R Console window.