[rkward-devel] JSS paper, round 2

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Dec 16 12:23:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 16 December 2010, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> Moreover I removed the abbreviations section. There is no need for it any
> longer in my opinion.

true. I was going to suggest that, too.

> For all those who plan to add or change something please look at the
> authors guidelines from JSS and check how certain things are written so
> far in the paper. Moreover, if you cite a package please write
> \pkg{PACKAGENAME} in the text.
> Thomas, maybe you noticed it I introduced another word (DF) for data.frame.
> In my opinion we must take care of words which describe a concept and the
> technical term used in R. Am I right here?

Well, keep in mind that JSS is fairly R-centric. And in a way we really are
talking about the technical term data.frame, as that *is* the type of data
that the data editor operates on. I think introducing an abbreviation for this
will add rather than avoid confusion in this context.

However, definitely, where we use R terms, we should mark them up as
\code{data.frame}. And perhaps we should add a very short explanation like
"The standard data type used to present a table of data in R") on the first
occurence in the usage chapter.