[rkward-devel] JSS paper, round 2

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Thu Dec 16 10:37:37 UTC 2010

On Thursday 16 December 2010 10:21:03 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Thursday 16 December 2010, Stefan Rödiger wrote:
> > Pleas let me know if there is something else from you side.
> >
> > Thomas and I started to play with the tex conversion (You can find it in
> > SVN). The final migration to tex will start the next days. If you plan to
> > contribute large text fragments or feel that any other change is needed
> > please let me know as soon as possible.
>
> I think, either way, we should get started on the conversion, for real,
> now. Converting the document to tech does not seem too hard, overall, but
> it does require a bit of time and care, and we should not under-estimate
> that. So I'd really like to get done with that step.
>
> This does not mean the end of editing. And in fact I do have some small
> edits in mind, myself. However, since editing is never quite finished,
> ever, it should not hold up the conversion, IMO.

True. But I'm confident that the current state even is of acceptable quality.
Compare this with Fox 2005 or Visne 2009.

> In SVN, I have set up the main .tex file (RKWard_paper.tex) to include the
> sections one by one from separate files. This way, we can share the
> conversion effort without getting too many conflicts. I volunteer to
> convert the "technical" section, and to update the "background" section
> according to your changes.
>
> If one or two of you volunteer to convert the other sections, it should be
> realistic to have everything in tex, and the bunch of the formatting done,
> this weekend. Then we can use the remaining time to polish the remaining
> rough edges.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,
yes, will will do it this way and I take care of sections other than
"technical" and "background" unless somebody else steps in.
I use a tex export extension for OpenOffice which worked quite well.
Moreover I removed the abbreviations section. There is no need for it any
longer in my opinion.
For all those who plan to add or change something please look at the authors
guidelines from JSS and check how certain things are written so far in the
paper. Moreover, if you cite a package please write \pkg{PACKAGENAME} in the
text.
Thomas, maybe you noticed it I introduced another word (DF) for data.frame. In
my opinion we must take care of words which describe a concept and the
technical term used in R. Am I right here?

Regards
Stefan