[rkward-devel] R backports on launchpad

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Tue Apr 27 16:00:50 UTC 2010

Thomas,

I looked into using a Launchpad PPA this morning, and the following line
from the help pages (https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading)
may be an issue for concern:

Note: We will not accept uploads of packages that are unmodified from
their original source in Ubuntu or Debian, only packages that include
your own changes.

Vincent and I do not modify the code from the Debain source packages,
just adjust the build rules to fit the current version of Ubuntu.
Therefore, a PPA of our R builds would appear to violate the above rule.

There has been some discussion about adding R to main (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/r-base/+bug/497158).  If more
packages need R then this may move forward quicker.  Another alternative
would be request and/or build R packages via the Ubuntu backports system
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports).

Michael

--
Dr. Michael A. Rutter