[rkward-devel] R backports on launchpad

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 27 15:15:16 UTC 2010

Hello Vincent,

Vincent Goulet schrieb:
> Please also consider that I build these R packages solely as a service to the community. I no longer use Ubuntu myself on any of my computers (Macs for desktop, Debian stable for servers)! I took quite some time to write build scripts to automate most of the process and I'm getting ever more resistant to change as time goes by. You may find my scripts useful, though; see https://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/svn/R/cran-ubuntu/.

I can absolutely see your point, and I won't insist, but before I give
up, I will try to convince you once more.

First, what we are looking for in RKWard, is building packages much more
often than just for every stable release, ideally even daily. This is
not only to make it easier for testers to follow the development, but
also to discover build problems early on, instead of a few days before
the targetted release date.

I really, really appreciate your work of providing backports of rkward.
But now we want more, and I assume that's more than you'd be willing to
provide for us. This is not beyond the scope of launchpad though, and
basically, all we need to do is to feed it our sources in regular
intervals. However, if we also want to use launchpad to compile against
R backports (and we do want that), then these need to be hosted
somewhere on launchpad.

The primary audience for your R-backports on launchpad would not be
end-users. Rather this would allow developers to use launchpad PPAs for
compiling their software against your backports - without maintaining
installations of several different releases of Ubuntu on two different
architectures.

Now, if needs be, we could just fetch your source-packages from CRAN,
and feed them into a launchpad PPA, ourselves. However, keeping that in
sync would mean a bunch of work that we would simply like to avoid.

Using a launchpad PPA would not only make *our* life a bit easier, but
possibly it could also save *you* some work in the future. For instance,
it might lower the barriers for somebody else to take over
responsibility for the backports one day. In this context, note that
launchpad also allows to set up a PPA for teams of people, not just
individuals.

Well, I hope this is enough to change your mind, but if it's not, I can
totally understand that as well.