[rkward-devel] R backports on launchpad

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Apr 27 09:00:51 UTC 2010

Dear Vincent Goulet, dear Michael Rutter,

I'm writing to you as the maintainers of the R-backports for Ubuntu on CRAN.

In the RKWard project, we are currently looking for a workable option for
creating binary packages of development snapshots more often. launchpad.net
offers "Personal Package Archives" (PPA) which allow to build and distribute
.deb packages for all supported Ubuntu series, and i386 and amd64
architectures.

We would also like to offer packages of RKWard built against the most recent
backports of R to older Ubuntu series. Launchpad supports custom dependencies
like these, as long as the packages are available somewhere on launchpad,
either in the "official" Ubuntu series, or in another PPA.

PPAs are remarkably easy to set up and use, and thus I would like to ask you
to consider uploading your packages to a PPA, in addition to the CRAN. This
would allow us - and potentially other projects - to make use of your
backports very easily.

In case this is not entirely out of the question, here is a list of the steps
involved:
1) Register an account at launchpad: https://login.launchpad.net/+new_account
2) Register your GPG-key
3) Sign the "Ubuntu code of conduct": https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct
4) Register the PPA
5) Upload using dput: https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Uploading

Thank you for your time, and of course for your backporting work!

Regards
Thomas Friedrichsmeier